Saturday, October 29, 2016

The Power of a Photo


It was October 2013, the day before his 60th birthday.  He was getting ready to leave for Mayo Clinic in Minnesota to talk about options.  I think there was some kind of movement going on in his cancer.  The place I worked at at the time gave me an hour lunch break and I used to come home and have lunch with my dad every day.  He waited to have lunch with me before making the trek north, all by himself. 

I had snuck a homemade birthday card in his car where he usually would keep his phone and wallet.  I knew he would find it eventually. 

I made sure I had my phone on silent camera mode, he probably won’t like that I was taking a photo.  I gave him a hug as I was taking a hundred photos, hoping one would look alright.  Then we got in our cars and drove our separate ways.  It took me 15 minutes to get to work and I bawled the entire way. 

I remember this one, tiny, insignificant moment so clearly. 

What I would do to go back there for a moment.

Just for one little hug. 


Happy birthday, daddy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Make my day and leave a comment!