Saturday, January 5, 2013
January Fifth
Dear Grandpa,
I can’t believe it has been one whole year since you’ve been gone. I remember it like it was yesterday. Mom walked into my room in the early hours of the morning to tell me you had just passed. In the background I could hear dad fumbling around in the bathroom to go see
you at the hospital. I, stumbling out of bed, got ready too. Dad drove us to the hospital and I remember seeing you there. You looked so peaceful, like you were in a deep sleep.
I remember you waited until my aunt left the room to pass. You didn’t want her to have to watch you go. I remember waiting; watching people from the funeral home come to take you away.
It surprises me all the times that I find myself catching my breath when I think of you. How those moments just appear out of thin air. It always the little moments, mostly your laugh.
As a kid, I remember driving around town with you. Going to the bank or church, just doing little errands that needed to be done. I remember when you visited us in all the places we lived. Riding rides at the Mall of America and going to the Minnesota Zoo, and touring Washington DC. Mostly I remember playing card games – specifically UNO – with you and grandma and my dad and mom. We would play for hours after dinner. You always loved to play card games.
I know the last few years of your life were not great. I am so glad you are at peace now and can heal and be active again. I know you would be the one that would play with all the little kids up in heaven because that was the kind of grandfather you were. You loved your children and you loved your grandchildren. And I thank you for that!
I miss and love you grandpa.
Love, your granddaughter,
Megan
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Make my day and leave a comment!